Great News!! Our Lago Vista Public Library just got the Ancestry.com – Library Edition for our Lago Vista Genealogical Society and all of our patrons!! Thanks for your patience as we’ve been working to get this up and running. This is an exciting new development here, and we’re thrilled to share it with you! Here are some of the criteria for it, and also some links that should be helpful in learning how to navigate it:
- To access the Ancestry.com – Library Edition, you must be logged in through the Library’s IP address, which means AT THE LIBRARY.
- This means either logging on to one of the library’s computers, or
- Logging in through the library’s Wi-Fi network if you bring your own laptop.
- The library edition is more limited in functions than an individual account, but you still have access to all the search databases.
- Since you won’t be able to save your info to an Ancestry tree using the library edition, you may want to bring a USB flash drive with you to save information.
- That way you’ll be able to take that home with you to have the information accessible to you there.
- Go to https://www.ancestrylibrary.com/ to begin searching!
- There are also several quick links at the bottom of that page that might take you to areas you’d like to research.
- Check out the tabs across the top of the page, including the Learning Center, which may be helpful to become more familiar with using the site.
- There are several links on here to help you learn various search functions: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-aFAdxOSTDcpY0OQQoffKmX2AEjpUYUP
- Home page: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2f72zOSfEE&list=PL-aFAdxOSTDcpY0OQQoffKmX2AEjpUYUP&index=1
- Card Catalog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDfuUDsMM1o&index=2&list=PL-aFAdxOSTDcpY0OQQoffKmX2AEjpUYUP
- Advanced Search: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYmM6oU-fFY&list=PL-aFAdxOSTDcpY0OQQoffKmX2AEjpUYUP&index=3
- Interactive Viewer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqD0OukPEPo&index=4&list=PL-aFAdxOSTDcpY0OQQoffKmX2AEjpUYUP
- Image Viewer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWxuziQfHzw&list=PL-aFAdxOSTDcpY0OQQoffKmX2AEjpUYUP&index=5
- The videos above are each less than 3 minutes in length so it’s not a big time investment to sit through them.
- Even if you’re already familiar with searching on Ancestry.com, you may learn some additional features (like I did!) on ways to search, and other functions.
Give it a whirl and have some fun with it! You might make some fascinating new discoveries!